The Irish Senate (Seanad Éireann) includes six members elected by university graduates. (Total membership of the Seanad is 60.) Three are elected by NUI graduates and three by graduates of the University of Dublin. All are considered as independents.
The current NUI members are:
- Rónán Mullen (Website¦Oireachtas¦Wikipedia)
- Joe O’Toole (Website¦Oireachtas¦Wikipedia)
- Feargal Quinn (Website¦Oireachtas¦Wikipedia)
and the University of Dublin members are:
- Ivana Bacik (Website¦Oireachtas¦Wikipedia)
- David Norris (Website¦Oireachtas¦Wikipedia)
- Shane Ross (Website¦Oireachtas¦Wikipedia)
Current arrangements are not universally considered satisfactory – Why should representation be confined to university graduates (as opposed to all those with degrees), and why not include all the universities? A constitutional amendment was passed in 1979 to facilitate change. None however appears to be imminent.
Further reading: Relevant Wikpedia articles are: Dublin University (constituency); Members of the 23rd Seanad; National University of Ireland (constituency); Seanad Éireann; Seventh Amendment of the Constitution of Ireland.